Thursday, October 2, 2008

Class Dismissed (2003)

Somewhere around the same time, I called about a class at City College of SF. I was told the class was free, but the materials for the class had to be purchased. I said that it wasn’t a free class, since materials had to be purchased for the class. I was told again it was a free class, but that the materials were necessary, but not required, for the class. I asked if I could pass the class without the materials. “Not likely.” “So, in essence, in order to pass the class, the materials were necessary.” “Yes.” “So I have to pay for these materials, unless someone gives it to me for free.” “In short, yes.” Then the class is not free, no matter how you justify it. Shameful in their disregard for and manipulation of the English language.

Class Dismissed
2003

No such thing as a free lunch?
Sure there is
But a free class?
What, no can see the hidden cost?

“Because you’re a member,
we’re offering this class,
free of charge”
here’s my reservation
since there’s “limited seating”
the confirmation arrives
two days later
three days before the class
the reminder arrives

“Please remember to purchase
the required textbook for the course,
available at the school bookstore
there will be copies available
before the class”

Excuse me?

So is it still a free class?
NOT!

Today –
“People are more often graduated,
than they are educated”
Thanks to Aristotle for that timeless insight.

You’ll learn more on the outside
Than you ever will,
In a class.

No comments: