Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pinnacles (1988)

I used the term ‘hemispheres’ here to represent the left and right hemispheres of the brain. It’s a common trait of Geminis, especially with left-handers. Physiologically speaking, the left side of the brain governs the right side of the body, so left-handers are in their right minds. That’s right, I said it. It had to be said. Someone had to say it. Left side is cognitive and systems/analysis/science-based. The right side is abstract and creative/artistic-based. The benefit for Geminis: get the science part down, and improving on it, making it an art. Typical next-level format. Physical first, as the foundation, mental second, to understand, spiritual third, to know without knowing, and acting without thinking.

Pinnacles was originally written about/for someone, and normally I wouldn’t change the title, but after a falling out, and since the poem itself was a perfect description of the surroundings that prompted the verse in the first place, I felt it appropriate to turn a negative into a positive. If you ever have a chance to visit Pinnacles National Park, I highly recommend it.

It’s located on the outskirts of Gilroy, California. Pinnacles is a mountain range now officially designated as a landmark. There are numerous hiking trails, starting on both sides of the range. I recommend the east side, and coming down the west side. The east side is more breathtaking, and takes longer, making it more enjoyable.

Start along the tree-lined trails until you reach the entrance to the caves. Classic spelunking. Definitely bring a flashlight. You have to squat, too, to get under certain areas. On the other side is a stairwell, leading up to the top. Out of nowhere, would you believe, a lake? Trails branch off from there, leading to the top of a variety of peaks. The vistas are nothing short of amazing. You can see for hundreds of miles. Nothing but terrain.

When done, work your way west to the steep side of the range. So steep, the trails wind down in a zigzag fashion. Most notably, several miles away at the bottom of the range, is a building resembling the Pentagon. In reality, though, it is actually Soledad State Penitentiary. Scary, huh?! Wrote a poem about it. Like to hear it; here it goes.

Pinnacles
1988

Your mountain majesties
Captured my soul
The first day that we met

A day in the sun
Amidst our friends
You stood out I admit
Your glowing caverns
Early morning bright
Pierced my shell to within

Offering views
From your peaks
Where the air is mighty thin

You made me happy
Throughout the day
Sharing amongst the rocks

I never thought
I’d enjoy the rests
As much as I did the walks

There is nothing
That I can give
Just feelings I share avec-nous

Who knows when
I’ll see you againSoon, while I’m thinking of you.


No comments: